Scientists Have Uncovered the Mystery Behind Being Left-Handed

by Ernest Thomas
Scientists Have Uncovered the Mystery Behind Being Left-Handed

Our planet consists of different types of people with diverse qualities and habits. Among those, some people use left-hand for doing every work. Yes, you got it right, I’m talking about the left-handed people. About 1 in 10 people around the world is left-handed, and scientists have found the first genetic markers linked to being so. According to the new study, published in the journal Brain, being a left-hander has a heritable component. It claims lefties have better-spoken abilities. Even more, left-handed people have a lower risk of Parkinson’s disease. It is the first-ever study which has revealed the genetic variations with left-handedness, a habit found in around 10% of humans across the globe.

Scientists from the University of Oxford have carried out the clinical research which relies on the UK Biobank. It is a database which consists of health information of volunteers across the nation. Thus the study included around 400,000 UK people, including more than 38,000 left-handed people. During the study, they have separated four genetic regions linked with left-handedness. Three of the parts have ties with proteins that affect the structure and growth of the brain. Even more, the scientists have analyzed brain scans of around 10,000 candidates along with hundreds and thousands of sequenced genomes.

The scientists have found that in lefties, the left and right hemispheres had powerful connections in the areas linked with language. Thus, the finding equates with a strong language potential. Dr. Akira Wiberg, leading author of the study, said the findings highlight the biological processes resulting in left-handedness. Notably, genes are not liable for a person to become left- or right-handed. As per scientists, it is only 25% genetic when it comes to handedness. It also means that the remaining 75% of handedness depends on other factors like environment. In short, there is probably a minimal role of genetics in a person’s entire chances of being left- or right-handed. Joint senior author of the study Gwenaëlle Douaud has noted the need for further research to test the probable benefits.

You may also like

Leave a Comment